·         What is a Homeowners Association? It is a non-profit corporation managed by a duly elected Board of Directors. Its purpose is to maintain all common areas and to govern the community in accordance with the provision of the legal documents including the Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&R’s), Bylaws, and Articles of Incorporation.
·         What is a “Management Company” and what does it do? A management company is contracted by the Board of Directors to provide services including collection of assessments, supervision of subcontractors, obtaining bids for subcontracted services, providing financial statements and collection reports, as well as a general clearing house for problem solving. The management company reports directly to the Board and all decisions are made by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
·         What is the Board of Directors? The Homeowner’s Association again is a corporation and therefore a governing body is required to oversee its business. The Board of Directors is elected by the homeowners, or as otherwise specified in the bylaws. The limitation and restrictions of the powers of the Board of Directors is outlined in the Association governing documents.
·         What do my HOA dues cover? Your dues cover lawn care, snow removal, insurance, common element maintenance, common area maintenance, management fees, utilities that are Association responsibility, postage, bank fees, etc. Basically, any and all costs that it takes to operate the Association.
·         What are the CC&R’S? The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R’s) are the governing legal documents that set up the guidelines for the operation of the planned community as a non-profit corporation. The CC&R’s were recorded by the County recorder’s office of the County in which the property is located and are included in the title to a homeowner’s property. Failure to abide by the CC&R’s may result in a fine to a homeowner by the Association.
·         What are the Bylaws? The Bylaws are the guidelines for the operation of the non-profit corporation. The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the Board of Directors, the terms of the Directors, the membership’s voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings, and the principal office of the Association, as well as other specific items that are necessary to run the Association as a business.
·         How do I get a copy of my Association’s Governing Documents? You can obtain this information from our website or by calling our office at 515-224-0511. 
·         Who do I make my checks payable to? Please make all checks payable to the name of your Association (Do not make checks payable to Smart Management). 
·         As a member of an Homeowners Association (HOA), can I rent my home? This depends on the governing documents for your Association. Some governing documents prohibit all rentals; some limit the number of homes that can be rented at any time, while others have no restrictions on renting.
·         Who do I contact for maintenance? You can submit maintenance requests under the maintenance tab on our website or by calling our office at 515-224-0511.
·         Why did the Snow Removal crew not clear my driveway? Most Associations have a 2” minimum for snow removal. The snow removal contractors typically determine the snow fall from the Des Moines International Airport measurements. If you see that the snow removal has missed your driveway but cleared other driveways, please call our office. 
·         Why are the driveways cleared of snow, but not the sidewalks? Most Snow Removal Contractors have two crews. The first crew may clear your driveway and the second crew may clear the sidewalks. Please be patient.
·         What is an ice dam? An ice dam is a build up of ice at the edge of the roof. It is called a dam, because the build up is large enough to dam up some water behind it. Ice dams are formed by continual thawing and refreezing of melting snow. Large masses of ice develop as snow on the upper part of the roof melts. The water runs under the snow and refreezes at the edge of the roof.
·         If I am having a problem with a neighbor for a violation of the Policies and Guidelines, what can I do? If residents cannot resolve a situation between themselves through neighborly means, then contact us at 515-224-0511 or email with your concerns. 

·         What constitutes an emergency repair? Generally - anything causing damage to your home. This would include fire, water, storm damage allowing interior problems, etc. All emergency repairs should be reported on our general number, 515-224-0511. It is answered on a 24/7 basis.  Remember - weather conditions will control when maintenance will respond. 


Copyright © 2018  Optimum Residential Management, LLC • West Des Moines, IA • 515-224-0511